Monday, October 02, 2006

socks!

Good morning! I'm knitting socks lately fast and furious. Have I completed a pair as of late? Well, no....but I will. ;) My past sock knitting consisted of first trying the two circ method. I was able to knit two socks that way with Cat's book. Next I tried two socks on the two circs. It worked out well and I completed a pair, though it seemed to take for. ever. I was using the Queen Kahuna's book and while I love it for the detailed descriptions and detailed step by step pictures, it's almost too much. It seems SO slow compared to doing these last three and a half socks on dpn's. Recently my mom was walking around in a pair of socks. I thought she cheated on me and quizzed her on where she got the handknit socks (obvious for the self stripe). SHe informed me that I knit them for her? I did....I guess so. :) So, she's gotten two pairs and the rest are singletons.

Unfortunately my camera is out of commission. It had to happen sometime. It was a Kodak one step and I've had problems with it since the beginning. The dial at the top seemed to get stuck at the most inopportune times. Anyway, so far I have completed one sock for my mom. I forget the name of the sock yarn, but I used size 3 dpn's and it went fairly fast. The sock is a little loose so if I use this pattern next time I'll go down a size or something.

My next sock is...again, I don't remember the name of the yarn though I have the lables around here someplace. It's done in gorgeous fall shades and everyone who sees it loves it. It's for my brother-in-law who when I first decided to knit my first sock asked me the day old question 'why would you want to knit something that you can buy for 2 bucks at Walmart?'. This is the same brother-in-law who has in the past really appreciated all of the handmade 'stuff' I have done. I have no doubt he'll love them and hopefully I'll be done the second one by Christmas. These are done on size 1's....and taking a bit longer than the others.

Lastly, on Saturday night I started a pair of socks on that cheaper sock yarn found at the craft stores....you know, the self striping deal? It's black and grey with touches of red and they are flying off the needles. I'm doing these for my middle son who has nearly the same size foot as I do so if he doesn't wear them (which he says he will) I'll take them over. They're comfy. I've done one sock already and cast on the second last night. I'm half done it, on the foot, almost ready for the toe decreases. Quick. I think all socks should be knit on 4's :)

That's it for now. I hope to get that camera working again or buy a new one. Our family has decided to go to Disney World this winter and we'll need one then. That's actually a huge deal for us. We've never been on a big vacation like that but now that I'm working as a real live nurse the money issues seem to be slightly more under control.

Oh. And one last thing.....would you ever believe that I will be knitting (or most likely crocheting) a hat for a real live celebrity? It's true..more on that to come!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

congratulations. Sounds like your way ahead of me on socks. I've been working on a pair of Knee highs from the Vintage sock book. I was ..oh.. a foot into it (no pun intended) when I realized I'd read the instructions wrong so Had to rip back about 8 in. Whats worse is I AM doing both socks on one Long circular so they both are f....ed up. Sigh. Didn't mean for that to be a rant..lol
Hows your spinning coming? Have you made anything from the yarn you made??

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home